Friday, July 31, 2009

Park Workout

I found this link to a 20-Minute Fitness Workout at the park. I thought about it and this would be great for me and my wife when we go to the park with our kids. I will give you a quick overview of the workout, but please hit the link to get full instructions and pictures.

1. Warm-up - I know that this should not be said, but you would be surprised how many people don't warm up or don't stretch before they workout. It will make a difference.

2. Playground Push Ups - These are just simple push-ups on an incline. To make them easier don't push your feet out as far.

3. Monkey Bar Pull Ups - These pull ups are not as hard as they sound. Your feet will be on the ground and you will be leaning back at an angle pulling yourself up.

4. Park Bench Dips - Got to get the tris. This is a simple exercise where you use the park bench just like at the gym bench to do dips.

5. Park Bench Step Ups - Just as it says, this is step ups on the park bench. I know that some park benches are high, and the higher it is the harder it is, so look around for any step ups, whether it is on another park bench or steps up to the slide. (remember to switch feet also)

6. Slide Lunges - This is stationary lunges with your foot up on the end of the slide. Follow the link for a better explanation and photos.

7. V-Sit Ab Toner - This one is a little harder to explain also, but you sit on the end of a bench with your hands right behind you and you draw your legs in and out.

8. Hanging Ab Toner - This is the last exercise. You hang from the high monkey bars and bring your knees up as high as you can and then back down.

After the last exercise, you do all of the exercises again. The site tells you to do it each one for 30-60 seconds, but starting off I would do 15-20 then move to another exercise.

I know if you are like my wife, you are thinking why would I go out in public and workout when I could do it at the gym. The answer is simple, it is an easy way to get outside with your kids and let them have fun while you get fit. I know that this says that it is a moms workout, but don't be intimidated by that, working out is working out whether your are mom, dad, or anywhere in between.

Enjoy the workout :-)

No comments: