Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Well, I have been working in my yard lately trying to get my lawn to green up. I have Bermuda grass and have found out that it is a summer loving grass but has the drawback of turning dormant during the colder months. This is not a bad thing because everybody has this type of grass and everybody's grass turns.

So I found the following link to the Bermuda Bible:
http://bestlawn.info/the-news/71-bermuda-bible.html
For the most part I have been doing the right thing. My first mow of the season has been a short cut to get up all of the dormant clippings. I have been doing things wrong also. You only need one application of a 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 fertilizer to start the season off, then when it gets hotter you use a high nitrogen fertilizer to keep it green.

You cut the grass often and short usually 1-1 1/4 inch. They recommend cutting every 3-5 days but you just mulch the grass and never bag it. I think this doable, just have to stay committed and I believe that I can keep it cut this low and Tiffany can cut it too when it is this low.

My front yard is in need of the most help, I cut it short at the end of the season, and I really should have cut it short now. Also last summer I did not water the lawn and I think I damaged it. Now that I know what to do, I think that I can get my lawn looking better than the ones that pay for theirs. :-)

Back Yard
house-003.jpg

Front Yard
house-001.jpg

I got out yesterday and pulled weeds out of the front yard. One thing that I also read was to spot kill weeds. I got some weed killer for Bermuda grass that works very well. I will probably get out over the next day or so and get out and kill some weeds.

No comments: